I had to make one of these last week and was REALLY struggling to find a recipe! In the end, I made a basic chocolate cake recipe and improvised. It is *really* easy to do and so I hope I inspire you to do the same if you are looking to make one of these for your little man (or lady!)
You will need:
INGREDIENTS FOR BASIC CHOCOLATE CAKE
225g soft butter
225g Caster Sugar
4 large free range eggs
100g self raising flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons cocoa powder
A splash of milk
For the "decorating" you will need:
6 boxes of cadbury fingers (I used the new fabulous fingers which have a layer of white chocolate inside and really are fabulous, the kids LOVED them and so did a fair few adults!)
1 tub of ready to spread icing (You can of course make your own butter icing, but to be honest, time is precious and this tastes just as lovely and is VERY easy to use!)
Green edible glitter (from any good cake shop. this really adds the WOW factor to your cakes)
1)Pre heat oven to 180c or gas mark 4
2)Grease 2 x 20cm square tins (I only have 1 so bake the cakes one at a time)
3) In a bowl beat the sugar and butter until creamy, then add the eggs one at a time.
4) Sieve in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and fold into the mixture
5) Add the milk slowly until the consistency drops of the spoon. This is then the perfect mix!
6) Pour into the tin/tins and bake in the oven for 25/30mins or until a skewer is clean (ie no mixture sticking to it) when put into the middle of the cake. Once the cakes have baked, remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 10 mins before turning out to cool completely.
Decorating the Cake
1) Take a sharp knife and cut out a square inside the cake, this will be the internal "courtyard" of your fort.
2) Take the square you have cut out and then cut this into 4 equal pieces, these will then form the turrets/lookouts of your fort.
3) Smother the cake and the lookouts in the butter cream icing, you then need to work quickly and place the chocolate fingers all around the outside of the cake and the lookouts on the 4 corners.
4) add toy soldiers for effect and sprinkle the edible glitter over the whole cake.
Sorry the picture is rubbish quality, I had to crop to edit out my sons name!
He absolutely LOVED this and it went down really well.
Peace and Love